Nov 14, 2005

His surprise.

Today was wonderful. Prince Charming suprised me by hiring a sitter and then took me for a walking tour of all his old hiding spots. Hand in hand we hiked through trails and across fields.

He took me a point on a cliff overlooking the ocean where he sat as a kid and pondered whatever was on his mind looking at the point where the ocean meets the night sky.

One by one he took me to spots that held special memories for him and then proceeded to share them with me.

He told me stories of pranks and games played by little boys growing up in a rural community. One story he told was of a place he used to play in the woods, that he and his friends named Gothos. There was a nosy neighbour who used to spy on the kids as they played and as they got older he would follow them and get into their youthful belongings they had stashed. One day these boys decided to get even in their own way. They took a galvanized bar of metal and gave it a handle made it look like a sword with no sharp edges. They put a bolt through the end that didn't have the handle. Then they made a cement block with the sword put down into it with the bolt buried deep into the cement. They made a metal name plate calling it "The Sword in the Stone" and saying that a treasure awaited the person who managed to remove the sword from the stone. Then they left it there in the middle of the woods. A few days later they came back and they could see that someone had been chipping at the cement with a large rock. The next day, they came back and the cement was shattered and the sword was bent around a large tree. Apparently, the man who followed them had gotten a sledge hammer or something of the sort, smashed the cement and finding nothing but a sword with a bolt for his troubles, he got angry and swung the bar bending it around the tree. These boys thought this was soo funny. The idea of this guy working so hard and getting all red-faced and sweaty and then getting nothing for his rewards was too much for a few adolecent boys to take. They enjoyed it greatly.

Along our walk, I was awestruck by the beauty of the area. In my minds eyes, I could see children running through the fields, sitting on the cliffs, throwing rocks into the ocean, and hiding away and telling secrets. It was wonderful to share his past, to see how peaceful moving home has made him feel. If I wasn't already thrilled to be living here, todays walk would have made me feel that way all on its own.

I love that he did this as a surprise. I love that he wanted to share that with me. I love that it was special.

No comments:

Twitter