Sep 22, 2006

Food Wars

After considering Little Princess's diet for some while, I have decided that over time, her diet has become way too limited. She has slowly but surely whittled down the list of "acceptable" foods until it was about 3 or 4 items. No food is too good to be on her offensive list, just in the last days the following foods have been labelled as "yucky": oreo cookies, ice cream, eggs, tomatoes (that weren't "squishy"), and macaroni and cheese. It isn't safe to assume that any food that a normal kid will like will be acceptable.

So now we have a new rule. She has to at least try whatever I am making for supper. I don't mind picking out peppers, or adding a little cheese, but she has try two good bites. As you can imagine, this is meeting with some resistance but it just isn't healthy for my girl to be living on granola bars, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and weiners.

Today, I have had some successes. For lunch she requested a salad with no dressing, just lettuce and carrot sticks and dill pickles. I was thrilled she was eating and gave her as many baby carrots as she felt like eating. Tonight, after some debate and picking out of the offending corn and beans, she ate the chili I made for supper. This was a victory. I won another battle. This battle is staged to go on for some time, but we normally eat pretty healthy foods in this house and I refuse to continue making 3 meals for 3 people. She will grow up to like a variety of foods.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son can be picky as well, but he knows that he also has to take one or two bites before saying that the food is yucky.

Anonymous said...

it was soooo hard for me to try new food. wait, it's still hard for me to try new food! ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is great! She didn't even fight you very long! I know all about picky eaters though, I've been one ALL my life.

Anonymous said...

It's tough when they get picky like that. I have one of those - so frustrating!

I just wanted to thank you so much for your comment on my "crisis" the other day. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh,Oh, ;)

We did the very same thing with Britt. We introduced her to as many healthy foods as we could manage and she grew up a vegetarian which is fine! And as she likes to cook, she prepares a lot of our dinners but there are times when I just don't want to see another vegetable. She then gives us the "but it's so healthy for you" lecture. Sometimes the best intentions backfire on you, especially when you are longing for lasagna full of meat and you get... more veggies.

:) But we do get extremely healthy kids lol...

Anonymous said...

My daughter, who is 23 now, grew up on pizza and chicken nuggets and Kraft macaroni and cheese! I dont know if she has ever ate a hamburger yet!!!! And she is just a tiny little thing.

Twitter