Feb 23, 2007

Soft


Theme: Soft Become a Photo Hunter View Blogroll

The theme for today's Saturday Photo Hunt was soft and while there may be nothing soft in this picture it was the one word that I feel when I look at it. I love the softness of her face, the beauty of her eyes, even when closed, the halo of hair around her face and the utter softness and love I feel when I look at it. So this is my submission for today.

Life in a musical

It is impossible to be unhappy with Little Princess around. I sit in front of the television in the evening flipping channels trying to find something to watch and I hear a little voice singing with growing intensity, like an actor warming up for the big finale in the closing number of a great musical, her voice soars to new hieghts singing some song that only she knows. And I smile. As she winds down and moves on to a more melodic peaceful tune, I listen to her and think how blessed I am to have a child that awakes in the middle of the night and bursts into songs instead of tears. I have a child who comes out for a drink and a snack and trots happily back up the stairs in her droopy bum jammies with her dolly tucked tightly under her arm and plays and sings quite happily until she is ready to climb back into her big bed and go to sleep. Sure, she is awake and sure she is probably making a mess in her room, but isn't that better than the alternative. She is happy and she is just so happy that it bursts out of her in song. We should all live our lives that way.

The Sad Truth about Vegetarianism in this City

I have been searching in vain in this city in three stores now for a vegetarian cookbook or a magazine or at this point even a pamphlet with recipes in it for vegetarians would do. There is nothing. I can't find a lot of the staples people have in other areas. I live in the capital of this province and I can't find a darned vegetarian cookbook, Seitan, or Tempeh!!! I am going to try making Seitan when I get brave enough. But I do wish that there were more vegetarians in the fish and potatoes, meat-loving province I live in. To a lot of the people I know eating a vegetarian lifestyle is an unheard of concept and vegan is a foreign language. It isn't going to stop me but I had to let off a little steam about it. I can't be too upset about it, Little Princess is breaking into her third chorus of the "I love my peanuts song" that she is composing at the moment and I need to enjoy the moment.

Shopping Trip

I had a wonderful Girls day out with my neighbour. We went shopping bought stuff for our kids had fun spending too much money and enjoying our time out as adult women with no kids in tow who still saw our kids in every item on every shelf we saw. It was wonderful and Bought some shelves for a pantry in my kitchen that I am so proud of. They look wonderful and I thought it was a creative use of space. I will share pics with you later, but I just had to share how much fun a girl who hates to leave the house in the winter had today when she finally pushed herself out that front door. Thanks neighbour for the companionship and the trip. I had fun.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photo for today is beautiful! It definitely captures this week's theme very well.

Happy Saturday!!

Michelle said...

Your photo is so sweet! Mine's up!

Unknown said...

I think you did a fantastic job in capturing soft.

:-)

Linda said...

She looks like she is sleeping very peacefully and I can certainly see why it invokes soft feelings for you to look at that picture!

srp said...

Sleeping children look so soft and peaceful and serene... then they wake up and sometimes, not on the right side of the bed or universe for that matter. In those times, I feel the same as Maxine!

Lisa said...

Your soft photo is beautiful. It is soft - a sleeping child is one of those moments where your heart melts. Happy weekend.

Melli said...

Actaully... I think that is one of the sweetest pictures I have EVER seen of your little princess - and I can totally understand why you love it!

Amazon is a great place to shop for those cookbooks! Here's a couple of links:

Vegan

Vegetarian

Also -- you can often times find foods on line that you can't find in your local shops! I can't find low-carb pasta ANYWHERE on the face of the planet! But I CAN find it on line!

Good luck sweety! Hope ya find something useful!

Anonymous said...

yes it is true they do look so wonderful a sleep... even as teens.

Hootin Anni said...

Yes!!! Soft and oh so flawless....beautiful

My SOFT BUNNY for this week, is posted.

Andree said...

This photo is full of love and softness. Have a peaceful week!

Teena in Toronto said...

What a great picture! She looks so peaceful.

Mine's up too :)

Mama Duck said...

I think that is VERY soft ;). Have a great weekend and thank you for visiting us as well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I had a great time shopping yesterday. Thank you for having a girls day out it was great.

MaMa In Love

Anonymous said...

Which part of Newfoundland are you in? In St. John's, there's Food for Thought. Gander has Nan's Pantry. I also have a bunch of veggie cookbooks that you're welcome to borrow, if you're anywhere near St. John's!

Anonymous said...

Followed the yellow brick road from Vicky's blog to here! (I'm her sister-in-law.) We're a ovo-lacto-(for now)-vegetarian household in St. John's, successfully nourishing two little girls. I'll second the note for FFT, and also encourage you to wander the natural-food aisle in the larger Dominions; their deli section also has meat alternatives and tofu. Bennington Gate has good cookbooks, and I have a bunch on my shelf too, well-thumbed and spilled-upon. My biggest food-challenge is getting the kids to try new things. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving that escape cartoon! Haven't seen that before, but made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for stopping by to see my organized purse!

Twitter