Jul 13, 2007

And the hits just keep on coming . . .

Scroll down for Friday Feast

I got a call from my dad. He hasn't been calling me much because he is upset with me for not going to church and following the religion I grew up with. Every call I do get ends up with mom crying at me because she is "scared for me" and dad hanging up because he has not too much to say. It was hard at first, but I am pretty used to it now. I refuse to be bullied into being religious. When and if I am ready to go back I will, but they don't get the more they push, the less I want too.

Anyway, today Dad called. When he did, I cringed. I hate to see their number and anticipate the lecturing that is sure to follow, or the bad news he is about to give. Because those seem to be the only two reasons he calls these days. Don't get me wrong, I love them dearly with all my heart, I just hate to be lectured all the time.
When I picked up the phone, I found out that this time, it was bad news. My Aunt is dying. She has Cancer of the Lungs and Liver and she has at the most 6 weeks to live. She is going home to die. She is only in her early 40s and it is so sad.

7 comments:

Judy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. My prayers will be with all of you during this time.

And, I hope your parents will start respecting your wishes. After all, you're an adult and if they are concerned about you, imho, the best thing they could do is keep the lines of communication open and pray for you. :-) Hugs. It's hard, I know, on both sides. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry about your aunt. I am thinking of you. I am sorry you have difficulty with your father... it must be really hard to be made to feel guilty like that.

Hugs to you,
Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

FatBlokeThin said...

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt, I hope her last few months are as peaceful as possible.

As for the conflict with your parents, I am reminded of the following quotation :-

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.

HH The Dalai Lama.

Live your life to your own rules, no-one else's.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. She is so young.

You and me are facing similar issues. My mom is the one who has been lecturing me. I keep telling her I have my reasons why I don't feel the desire to go. For one she spends 4 days a week at church, and if I did go it would be for one service on Sunday morning. I just feel she's pressuring me into going instead of me feeling the need, which is why I'm not going in the first place.
I can totally understand how you're feeling.
I tried to explain to her this is how I want to live my life. I don't tell her to spend less time at church and more time with her family. That's another story.

*HUGS*
Have a good Friday!

~*Kelli BoBelli*~ said...

Ah religion. I've lately been questioning the WHOLE thing. For awhile I was agnostic, then I decided I was atheist, and now, I just don't know what I do/don't believe. Either way, no one, including my husband, supports my views. It's hard, but hey...I'm 40. I can decide this for myself, I do believe.

Sorry about your aunt. Lung cancer is horrid. I lost a MIL and a friend from high school to it. I will tell you though, in the end, I don't think they remember too much about what's happening. Maybe it's natures way of putting them at ease.

hugs.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. I am also saddened to hear that your dad and you can't see eye to eye. I have much of the same problems with my mother.

Have a wonderful, peaceful weekend.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Wonderful photos. Love the last one.
Mine's up too.

Twitter