Aug 29, 2009

First Week of homeschooling

One full week of homeschooling went by fast. I have to say I am really enjoying it. We are still learning and adjusting but all in all it has been good. We had one rough day when she hadn't gotten enough sleep because she got up early and refused to go back to bed. She has always had days like that and those are the days when I used to dread sending her to public school. It never failed that I would hear from the teacher on those days, she would get nothing done, she would be disruptive. After our day was over, I looked back on it and we had still gotten things done, so I still felt a like even that was a success. Then I hugged her, I told her I was sorry we had had a rough day and asked her how we could make it better for next time. We came up with a plan that we were both happy with. In that way we were able to exercise a flexibility they could never do in public school.

I am learning so much about her and that is the part I am loving the best. She shares things while we work. She tells me her thoughts. And I am learning her strengths and weaknesses. I learned that she is really good at language, reading and social studies and science. She has some difficulties in Math, but that with the introduction of manipulatives, she has really gotten a lot more confidence in Math. Today, I even gave her a gold star for doing a whole page with no help and getting it all right. I learned that writing things out is hard for her and if I can avoid her having to write things out all time we get a lot further. She loves when she has to do anything creative. She blossoms when she can be creative and she remembers so much more when she has to draw out examples and illustrations. We learned that trying different methods of learning also help. We do some things in the books, some things on work sheets, some things in game format, some things creatively and some things on the computer. It breaks it up for her and helps to keep it fun for her.

We also added to our School wall.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like a good first week. Keep up the good work!

http://scrapgrrl.com

Anonymous said...

glad the first week went really well :)

Emily said...

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start!

Tasha said...

Sounds like things are going great. Can't wait to hear more.

Twitter