Feb 7, 2010

My Precious Girl

There are times that I feel so helpless as a mom. There are times when my beautiful daughter, who is so baffled by the do and don'ts of interpersonal relationships (due to her aspergers), says something to me that just breaks my heart.

She has been doing that a little lately. The only hard part of this move is her. She had established a few friends where we were living. They were younger than she is but they didn't judge her for her oddities. Now to be fair there were a LOT of kids who did judge her and give her a hard time, but now that we are here and sooo isolated, she is longing for the friends that she had. She has even asked me if she can move back when she is a grown up.

She tells me stories about school and things that the kids say that make me so sad and helpless. I can't fix this for her and I wish that I could. I can't un-say the things the kids say to her. I can only hope they aren't breaking her spirit a little at a time. She had a friend that she liked and she was so happy to have a friend that she wrote her a letter, telling her how much she liked her, how glad that she was her friend and how she was her only friend. And her friend rolled her eyes and said things that made her feel weird for doing that. She wanted to do something nice and was shot down for doing so. I saw the light go out of her eyes as she told me about it. She wants so badly to be liked and I HATE that she feels that all the other children think she is weird. I want to make this better for her.


#Autism

4 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Aww, that breaks my heart too!

Julie said...

That's so sad. :(

http://scrapgrrl.com

Crazy Working Mom said...

Well, I think that this happens to all of us as parents at some time or another. No matter how "normal" or different our children are...there are kids who are just plain mean. We have to teach our children to NOT be like them and to learn from those kids. I know it breaks your heart but it's a great opportunity to tell her that some kids (just like adults) are mean and there is nothing we can do about it, but we have to learn that the way others act or what they say is no reflection of ourselves. :)

Dove's Rest said...

I can just see her heart in this photo. What a precious child you have. Reminds me of mine. Well life will never be boring!I thought it was a lovely thing to do to write a letter to her friend.She is unique and there is a special purpose for her life that no other can fill.Blessings

Twitter