Mar 20, 2010

Enjoying her

I am enjoying my time with my big girl, Princess Belle so much these days. She asked to have home economics included in her homeschooling, so every day I show her about making breakfast or lunch and she has been learning about things by laundry too. She is so proud when she can beam at her daddy and say, "I made my VERY OWN breakfast, Daddy!"

She has been so happy and contented. She hasn't thrown a temper tantrum or lost it at all in so long. She doesn't come up to me telling me what a bad girl she is in a long time. She is just happy.

I hear her playing by herself, constantly chattering away to her imaginary friends (which she is aware aren't real, but plays with anyway), I watch her playing chase with Princess Magpie, or I watch the two of them dance in my living room and I am aware of how much happier she is. I know she is a little lonely, and I am working on that, but I know that she is a much more content person. She hasn't mentioned dying since she has been homeschooling. She finishes her day telling me that she, "loves school" now. We get something accomplished in every subject now. When she hadn't gotten anything accomplished since going to Public School. In fact during (my horrible mistake of her attending) pubic school she actually lost a lot of what I had previously taught her.

With that in mind, we are going to go to a year-round school year. My idea is to have 5 weeks on and 1 week off all year-round. It will give us lots of school days and lots of off days but she will never have so many days off that she loses things she has already learned.

Oh by the way, for my birthday present to me today, I am just going to spend the day enjoying my family and my life.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Did I catch that little hint that today is your birthday? Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I think we connected a while back but then lost contact. I now have your blog included in my google reader so as not to loose contact again. I was perusing your blog to see what I missed. Sounds like you've been through a rough time but it also sounds like things are getting better. Glad to hear it.

Are you connected with any other homeschoolers in the province? Do you know about CHENL? www.chenl.org

Wendy said...

Happy late Birthday!

This sounds like a wonderful transformation of your princess. You are building memories and character, trust and love, as well as solid education. Nothing can beat that.
Are you involved with a local homeschool group? We have so many activities available here, that I find myself having to pick and choose carefully or we would be overwhelmed with "socializing." The support from other moms is great, too.

Julie said...

Happy belated birthday!!! ... I have another homeschooling friend (online) who does year-round schooling, and it works well for them... Though I think they do schoolwork for 3 weeks, and then take a week off. All four of her kids (she actually has 6 kids, but the older two are out of school and not living at home anymore) are doing well and above their grade level... If I (personally) didn't need the summer break to regroup, I would do what she is doing too. :)

http://scrapgrrl.com/

Twitter