Apr 9, 2010

We are having some fun now!

Some of my blog friends may remember that a few years ago, I survived a hurricane. My apartment at the time did not survive. It seems the roof of the building next door saw fit to take it out. The wind was so loud, roaring all around us. The walls cracked and the windows rattled. The crash of the roof coming through our wall was deafening. It was terrifying. But we survived. We moved to a new (hideous) apartment. I was lucky, I was not hurt, nor was anyone in my family. But I was scarred. To this day, I am scared of the wind. I hate the sound of the wind rattling my windows. I hate the feeling of it against the walls. I flinch when I hear it. I cover my ears, I feel like any minute now the windows will break something horrible will happen.

Now there is just one tiny little flaw with my particular, unreasonable issue. I live in outport Newfoundland. This is where they manufacture wind and ship it out to the rest of the world. Whenever there is a storm, the windows rattle, the walls make cracking sounds, things fly around in our yard. It doesn't even have to be stormy. It can be a bright, shiny day but the will decide to blow just for the heck of it and I want to go huddle under my bed like a child in a thunder storm. (which by the way doesn't frighten me, go figure. I mean if there is flashing lightening and deafening thunder, I am sitting by the window with snacks watching the show, but when the wind starts to show us the business, I want to run and hide.) But, I can't hide. I am a grown up and I have three children of my own. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the sight of mommy running through the house and hiding under the bed until the wind stops would not be at all comforting. I could bring flashlights and popcorn and call it a party, but I am pretty sure it would scar them for life. So I flinch internally. I ignore the goosebumps that spread from my toes to my ears every time the wind howls.

I live in Wind Storm Central, the wind is trying to blow our window in and I am home alone with three little girls. We are having some fun now . . . I want their daddy!

No comments:

Twitter