Sep 20, 2010

Mornings

I wake up before the sun does most days. But I am not a person to jump out of bed with a smile and a cheery "goodmorning sunshine" song. I need a few minutes to wake up, nurse a cup of coffee, and wake up quietly.

So, I crawl out of bed, make my way to the computer and let Princess Magpie and Princess Belle watch cartoons and eat peanut butter sandwiches, put Princess Snifflefritz on the floor beside me and steal a few minutes. Now these few minutes are filled with interruptions, children who need hugs, food, attention, to be told to behave, and other miscellaneous objections. So this is not the most relaxing few moments in the morning, but they are mine and I guard them fiercely.

When I am ready to actually face the day, I get up, get on my fit for the public clothes, put up my hair, wash my face and greets the day and my children with the smile they deserve.

I sometimes feel guilty for this time, like I am taking it away from my kids. But I need these few time to myself. The whole rest of the day, the children have my undivided attention. I spend the whole day taking care of them, taking care of the house, taking care of homeschooling, running them where they need to go, being mom. I think a few minutes first thing in the morning to just be me and to wake up slowly is not to much to ask.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I never needed the "morning time" ... But I NEED my quiet time too. I just have "mama time" at night, after Joe and the kids are asleep... People wonder why I stay up so late, and that is why. I need "me time".

http://scrapgrrl.com/

Twitter