Jan 22, 2011

Trick to preempt two year old tantrums


I have discovered a cute trick which helps to preempt the tantrums Princess Magpie has been having. Whenever she is doing something that I want her to stop, rather than telling her not to do it, I ask her to help me fix it. So, if she has moved the chair into the living room and is standing on it to get at things she shouldn't, I ask her to help me move it back. I pretend it is so heavy and that only her little two year old help will work. She loves it and pretends to grunt and groan moving it back. It also works when I am finished vacuuming. She loves the vacuum and hates when I put it away, but if I ask her to help me put it away, she gets excited. I am loving this trick. I get celebrations and smiles instead of temper tantrums!

2 comments:

Justme said...

That is pretty much what we've just recently discovered! It's amazing how if you turn "No" around to "Can you help me?" how fast those smiles appear! Sometimes I forget though...which at times leads to ME having a temper tantrum :(

Marlis said...

great idea!

Twitter