Mar 15, 2011

Random Tuesday Tidbits


Princess Belle has been busy this morning. Because she doesn't have the shows she likes, she has been accidentally learning instead. I loved it so much, I waited to start school so she could keep it up. She was reading and studying a nature book and drawing diagrams of various things including sorting them into categories. She was reading and sharing a book about Canadian Geography and she watched a video on Canadian History. She has spent her whole morning voluntarily learning.

Once we started actual bookwork, it went downhill for a little while. She developed her nine-year-old attitude and said she was bored with it. But after a little struggle and frustration, we pulled it together and actually did okay and had a little fun with our work.

I changed around the living room yesterday evening. I needed to get the couch away from the window because the girls were climbing it and pulling on the curtains, bending the curtain rods. So now the television and bookshelves are in front of the bottom of the window (blocking their access). It actually looks okay.

I have been thinking about our education goals for next year and I have decided that I am going to do Waldorf with Montessori elements brought in. I think it will suit us better than strictly Waldorf alone. I can't wait to be able to get our new curriculum. There are parts of it I plan to use right away.

I am making a treat of fried chicken for supper tonight. I think Prince Charming will love it! I am also making some cookies today. I am having fun spoiling my family with all the goodies I have been making. They are in no way feeling the fact that I had to be very frugal with my groceries. Old fashioned cooking and baking is making my house smell yummy and homey all the time.

Southern Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 egg
1 cup milk

1 cup all-purpose flour
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 quart vegetable oil for frying


Directions:
1. Beat egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then season chicken pieces and roll in flour. Shake well.

2. Add 1/2 to 3/4 inch oil to a large, heavy skillet. Heat to approximately 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Cover, and fry until golden, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. (since this is a treat and not a diet recipe in any way, I will probably experiment with using my fryer for this one )


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
    1-1/2 cups rolled oats, (not instant)
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2/3 cup softened butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup raisins
1. In bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking powder and baking soda, and salt.
2. In separate large bowl, beat softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture. Stir in raisins.
3. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake in centre of 375°F oven for 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool on pans on racks for about 2 minutes. Transfer to racks; let cool completely.

3 comments:

Aimie said...

I am sooo trying the fried chicken!! Mine never turns out just right. You know what I mean? Yours sounds delicious!! The cayenne pepper I think is what I have been missing! Yumm!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Julie said...

What ever happened with the Alpha Omega Lifepacs you were using? Did Belle do well on those?

http://scrapgrrl.com

Twisted Cinderella said...

Belle didn't like the AO curriculum. She found it dry and boring.

Twitter