Mar 10, 2011

Thursday Thoughts.


I did another scrapbook layout today. I really like how it turned out. It captures her angelic quality pretty well.

I was supremely tired yesterday so we had an easy day with homeschooling. One thing we did that was a lot of fun was watch some video clips and some experiments on sound waves. We had a blast and she was able to explain sound to me when we were done. Even Prince Charming popped in with his input. She becomes so much more engaged as well as learning and retaining so much more when she can see and touch science.

I finally got through pretty much all the kids clothes. I have Princess Belle's narrowed down to about 12 outfits and I have pretty much narrowed down the clothes for both the girls. There is some crossover in their clothes right now so I am working on how to approach that. But it is good to get it done this far. I would say we have another two large bags of clothes to donate to goodwill.

I made pancakes today as a treat. I wanted to make a different kind, so I tried these Apple Oatmeal ones. I have to say the chili con carne the other day was FABULOUS!! It was so yummy, Prince Charming was on the phone telling his mother about it and giving her the recipe as soon as he finished eating!

Tonight I am making a Lazy Bolognese-Style Lasagna I got from Rachael Ray. I may make biscuits to go with this again, if the mood strikes me. I am thinking of making cookies for the girls sometime soon too.


Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
14 serving

Ingredients

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated apples
1/2 cup raisins (I used pumpkin seeds and added some flax seeds as well)

Preparation:

In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oats and cinnamon.

In separate bowl, beat together egg, milk and melted butter or vegetable oil; add to dry ingredients and mix just until lumpy. Add apple and raisins; mix just until incorporated.

Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat; brush with vegetable oil. Pour in batter by 1/4 cupfuls (50 mL) for each pancake, spreading with spatula if necessary. Cook for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until underside is golden and bubbles break on top. Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until underside is golden. Serve hot with vanilla yogurt and cinnamon.



Lazy Bolognese-Style Lasagna

Ingredients

* Salt and pepper
* 1 pound wavy lasagna noodles, broken into irregular pieces (I used macaroni noodles)
* 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 small carrot, finely chopped or grated
* 1 spring of rosemary, finely chopped
* A sprinkle ground cloves
* 1/4 cup tomato paste
* 1 cup white wine
* 2 cups beef stock
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 2 rounded tablespoons flour
* 2 cups whole milk
* Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
* Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I used grated cheddar cheese)

Yields: Serves 4 to 6

Preparation
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
  2. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown well. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, rosemary, cloves and lots of salt and pepper and cook until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then stir in the wine for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and simmer for a few minutes longer.
  3. Preheat the broiler and position a rack in the center of the oven. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, then the milk, and let thicken enough to coat a spoon; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
  4. Toss the pasta with the meat sauce and arrange in a casserole. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top in an even layer. Top with a layer of cheese and broil in the oven to brown the top.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dropping by on the TOS Blog Walk. I'm following you via GFC.

I'm going to have to try your Apple Oat pancakes!!!

Have a great day!

Julie said...

It's always nice when the hubby loves dinner, huh? *lol*

http://scrapgrrl.com/

Twitter