Mar 17, 2011

Thursday Thoughts.

I had big plans today. As soon as I got up, I got ready and started to make bread, I underestimated how much flour I would need and ran out of flour half way through. So, I set it to it's first rising and ran out and got flour to finish.

After I was done, I started going through our storage space. I got through that and was bunning down the bread when someone came to give us an estimate on possibly helping us with our move. I hadn't gotten around to tidying up the kids' mess when she got here (which I hate), but that's all I could do. I can only move so fast.

I am making some muffins after the bread comes out of the oven.

(I don't know if I told you, but Prince Charming has a job interview out of town, so that would possibly speed up our move)

Blueberry Muffins

Servings: 6

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/3 cup water
4 tablespoons applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (I use frozen)

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the egg, water, applesauce and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries. Fill greased or paper-line muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Although I tend to do my bread making mostly by how it feels, here is the recipe I use as a starting point:

Basic White Bread

Baking Time
25-30 minutes.

Ingredients

2 tsp sugar
1 cup water, warm
2 envelope active dry yeast
2 cup milk
4 tbsp butter or margarine
4 tbsp sugar
3 tsp salt
1 cup water, warm
10 - 11 cups White Flour

Preparation

DISSOLVE 2 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.

HEAT milk to lukewarm. Stir in butter, 4 tablespoons sugar, salt and 1 cup warm water. Add milk mixture and 4 cups Robin Hood Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic.

STIR IN remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out on floured board. Round up into a ball.

KNEAD dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).

PLACE in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to greased top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.

LET RISE in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).

PUNCH DOWN. Turn out onto lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

SHAPE each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in 2 greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (1.5 L) loaf pans. Cover with tea towel.

LET RISE in warm place until dough rises 1 1/2" (3 cm) above top of pan in centre and corners are filled (45 to 60 minutes).

BAKE at 400°F (200°C) on lower oven rack for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately. Brush top crust with butter if a soft crust is desired. Cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I hate when I run out of ingredients when I'm baking. *sigh*

http://scrapgrrl.com

Twitter