Sep 17, 2012

My Diet

I have to change up my diet a little bit.  I am finding that counting calories (or points) puts me in a bad place with regards to my eating issues.  I have been eating so little that I have been having physical side effects.  I won't embarrass myself by going into details, but I have to make a change.  So first, I am not going to weigh in this week, my weight will fluctuate with a change and reporting a rise in my weight will be bad for me.  So, I am just going to take it easy this week and then next week I am trying something a little different.  No Counting.  I am going to try Dr. Barnards plan for reversing diabetes.  Firstly because it is good and healthy and vegan and secondly because there is a STRONG chance that this last pregnancy left me with diabetes (I have been too chicken to get it checked out).  So this plan will help to make me healthier and help to set my mind in a better place.

To keep all my information in one place, I am going to share some of it here.  So, here are are the rules of the plan boiled down to their most basic:

Overall principle: 
 Choose low-fat, low-glycemic-index foods from plant sources. There is no limit on portion sizes of these foods. Avoid all animal products and keep vegetable oils to a bare minimum.

Step 1: Avoiding Animal Products

Step 2: Avoiding Added Vegetable Oils

Step 3: Low Glycemic Index (High-glycemic-index foods include sugar itself, white potatoes, most wheat flour products, and most cold cereals)

Step 4: Go High-Fiber (Aim for 40 grams of fiber a day. Load up on beans, vegetables, and fruits. Choose whole grains.  Aim for at least 3 grams per serving on food labels and at least 10 grams per meal.)

Step 5: Volumetrics (Optional, basically it means this means the food is a high-volume, low-calorie food.  Done by adding lots of soups, salads, and foods cooked in water (like oatmeal) to your daily diet.)

Step 6: Focus on the New Four Food Groups  (Grains, Legumes, Vegetables, Fruits: all, except avocados, olives, pineapple, and watermelon)

ALSO OKAY: 
    Nonfat salad dressings and other nonfat condiments, fat-free vegan cookies, fat-free chips, crackers, and other snacks
    Coffee (with nonfat, nondairy creamer)
    Alcoholic beverages, used occasionally
    Sugar, used occasionally
Used rarely: nuts, seeds, chocolate (nondairy), full-fat soy products such as tofu, tempeh, soy cheese, etc.


Meal Suggestions
General Tips
Troubleshooting

No comments:

Twitter