Dec 13, 2012

Yummy way to start the day!

It was nice to sort of sleep in this morning.  The kids let me sleep until 8 which was lovely.  At that point they all woke up and all the little ones were crying.  So after I got them settled, I went out to make something fun for breakfast.  I have been doing quite a bit of baking this month.  It just feels more like Christmas to be having yummy things made and with my family, once I make them they eat and eat until they are all gone!!  I decided I wanted to make scones.  I wanted to make the flour ones that I read about the british enjoying and I wanted to make the Scottish oat scones that my mom used to make when I was little.  I even warmed up and thinned out some jam to go with them!  Yummy!

Here are the recipes.

Scottish Scones

Ingredients

        1 1/2 cups flour
        3/4 cup rolled oats
        1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
        2 teaspoons baking powder
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
        1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
        1/2 cup milk

    Topping
        1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
        1 tablespoon sugar
        1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease cookie sheet. In med. bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; mix well.
With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
Add milk all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
On floured surface, gently knead dough 5 or 6 times.
Place on greased cookie sheet; press into a 6" round, about 1" thick.
Brush top with melted butter.
In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; mix well.
Sprinkle over top.
Cut into 8 wedges; separate slightly.
Bake for 20-30 minute. or until golden brown.  Serve warm.


Simple Scones

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2.     In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.
3.     Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
4.     Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Ticia said...

that sounds delicious! hopping over from Enchanted Thursday

Twitter