Feb 17, 2013

No-Knead Country Wheat Bread Recipe

I decided to try another bread recipe.  This one seems easy and I love having fresh bread for my family.  The idea of them waking up to a house smelling of fresh bread is wonderful to me.  So I am giving this a shot today.  It is going in the oven shortly, I will let you know how it turns out.  (I added a little extra water when I made it and that may have been a mistake)

This country wheat no-knead bread recipe produces a crisp-crusted country bread so good people will think it came from a bakery. Like all no-knead bread recipes this one is simply mixed and left to rise. With bread this easy, you'll find yourself making it on a regular basis.

Makes 1 Loaf of No-Knead Country Wheat Bread

Ingredients:

    1 1/2 cup tepid water plus 1 tablespoon
    1/4 tsp dry active yeast
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 cups white un-bleached bread flour
    cornmeal as needed

Preparation:
Add the water, yeast, salt, and flour into a mixing bowl. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir well to form a wet, very sticky dough. Do not try to knead with your hands, as it is too sticky to handle. Once mixed, cover the bowl with a towel, and leave out at room temperature for 12 hours.

Flour a work surface well; using a spatula scrape the bubbly dough on to the flour. Flour your hands and pat down into a square shape. Fold each corner to the center, and flip the dough over so the folds are facing down. Shape into a round loaf. Generously sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet about twice the size of the loaf. The dough may stick unless you put a good amount on the pan. Transfer loaf to the pan, folds facing down. Sprinkle the top with flour.

Place a clean, dry, floured towel over the loaf, and allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm spot. Place a pie pan half-filled with water at the bottom of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Remove the towel, and make a 1/2-inch deep incision across the top of the loaf with a sharp knife. Bake on the middle rack for 50 - 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a rack before slicing.

Update:  this turned out soooo good!  It was a huge hit and it will definitely be appearing regularly in my house from now on.

Here is a pic of the bread I made when I doubled the recipe using my large bread pans instead of my small ones:



No comments:

Twitter