Nov 11, 2013

Newfoundland Bread Pudding


Newfoundland bread pudding is a savory pudding that is served mostly with a traditional Newfie Jigg's Dinner.  It is really yummy with gravy.  It brings me back memories of Jigg's Dinners of my childhood! 

  • Approximately 1/2 loaf of stale bread
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2tbsps melted butter
  • salt and pepper. 
  • Finely diced onion (optional)
  1. Soak stale bread in water (just add enough water for the bread to fully absorb it, squeeze out any extra - it needs to be moist not overly wet). 
  2. Add flour, melted butter, salt and pepper. 
  3. Mix together well until it starts to hold together; the pudding should be a little sticky. 
  4. Sterilize the bag in boiling water, cool under running water and place the pudding in the bag. 
  5. Squeeze the pudding to the bottom of the bag and tie tightly to the pudding. 
  6. Place in the pot with cabbage (boil appx. 1 hour). 
  7. Finely diced onion can also be added to this recipe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm - when I think bread pudding I think sweet... I for sure have to try this and I must google jiggs dinner! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I miss my grandfather's bread pudding

Unknown said...

I miss my grandfather's bread pudding

chrysti198 said...

We have sweet bread pudding too. We add a little sugar and milk. No onions.

chrysti198 said...

We have sweet bread pudding too. We add a little sugar and milk. No onions.

Masterofdisaster said...

Mmmmmm mmmmmmmmm

Unknown said...

Just finished eatting this with a bit of gravy

Twitter